About UsWho we are and what we have done
‘Hybu’ is a Welsh verb meaning ‘to promote’, ‘to encourage’ or ‘to support’.
Hybu Limited is a non-profit making company limited by guarantee formed in January 2008 giving legal structure to work which commenced July 2007. In 2014 the organisation also became a registered charity.
The organisation has a board of 10 Members that includes young people from the original 2007 intake as well as a number of professionals who over see all aspects of the work.
Hybu reaches out to young people and local communities through programmes designed to enable participants to value themselves and to be recognised as the incredible members of society they actually are. They achieve this by supporting each other and local communities in a variety of practical ways.
Hybu exists to promote good citizenship amongst young people for the public benefit via education, training, mentoring and practical experience, including organising community and arts based projects undertaken by young people that benefit the community and promote its well-being.
The young people have defined Hybu as:
There are currently three strands to our work:
- Hybu Pobl Ifanc (Welsh for encouraging young people) is a programme for 16-18 year olds who follow a structured programme to develop volunteering, leadership and entrepreneurial skills. These are put to practical use in creating activities for disadvantaged communities.
- Hybu Leaders training programme is a programme for 18-20 year olds who are interested in training in community development to work with local communities and the Hybu Pobl Ifanc programme to be able to deliver new and exciting activities.
- Hybu Training is available for adults of all ages, specialising in Playwork, Working with Children, Volunteering and Personal Development.
because you are happy when you attend and you are happy when you work because you are making other people.
because Hybu is for young people who are allowed to take control and responsibility and their youth is not considered a barrier to anything.
because it is really good and as many people as possible should join.
which is given to everyone who belongs.
Hybu started as a small group of volunteers seeking to raise money for charity. We started with six adults and twenty sixth formers in 2007. Since then we have grown considerably and had over 500 young people through the Hybu Pobl Ifanc programme.
In 2008 Hybu became a company limited by guarantee non-profit making and in 2014 became a registered charity.
We have trained young people using our unique and exclusive training programmes, equipping young people with leadership, volunteering and entrepreneurial skills. The aim of the programme is to create a new generation of volunteers using their skills and talents for the benefit of others.
The young people have organised a whole range of fundraising events including:
in various places throughout South Wales over the years.
along a part of the Wales Coast Path from Newport to Cardiff.
Mega bag pack
in 17 stores involving over 100 children and some senior citizens.
pounds donated to national and local charities to date.
We have also organised activities and events providing fun, excitement and hope in areas where there is none such as:
- Three day Wizard of Oz event.
- Sponsored ukulele event for 533 schoolchildren amazingly making ukuleles out of margarine tubs, wood and fishing wire.
- Children’s events themed on the Ugly Bugs Ball.
- A calendar for Pudsey’s Olympic challenge with permission of BBC Children in Need.
- A 60s-themed senior citizens event with 160 attendees.
- A Guinness World Record attempt for the most consecutive rugby ball passes.
- Pyjama party for Pudsey.
- Large and small fun events for children with the number of participants ranging from 20-900.
In addition, annually we hold:
Fun Alive Club
A summer fun club for children 4-11 in a variety of areas.
1000 Voice Choir
A 1000-voice choir event with participants aged 8-23 from 12 counties across Wales performing in the Motorpoint Arena Cardiff in front of an audience of 4000.
We are growing and expanding, currently operating groups in Cardiff and Newport and open for invitation in new areas.
Hybu currently has three patrons for whose help and guidance we are ever grateful for. Our patrons are:
- The Right Honourable Alun Michael JP Police and Crime Commissioner for South Wales
- The Rt Revd and Rt Hon The Lord Williams of Oystermouth DD FBA FRSL FLSW
- Behnaz Akhgar
Want to know more?
If you would like to know anything else about Hybu please contact us below.